Board Highlights 5/12/14
South Hamilton School Board Meeting Highlights
President Will Johnston called the meeting to order.
The agenda and consent agenda were approved. The consent agenda items included approval of the minutes, financial reports, bills, flexible benefits, and open enrollments.
- Leo Rieter – Address the board about partnering with the city with a display board.
- Ms. Hines played a video created by Mrs. Sloan and the 1st grade class in recognition of School board appreciation Month.
Reports were given by the following people: Student School Board Member, Molly Houdeshell, Curt Stoecker, Buildings and Grounds, Elementary Principal, Paul Hemphill, Secondary Principal, Scott Dryer, and Superintendent of Schools, Tim Johnson. Molly Houdeshell presented on a possibility of hosting a mini-dance marathon. Mr. Stoecker updated the board on the repair of the softball lights, the summer crew starting full time, and the need for gravel at the bus barn. Mr. Hemphill reported on the arrival of the Iowa Assessments, the end of the year professional development and 100% of Mrs. Walker’s students receiving proficiency on the Iowa Assessments in Reading. Mr. Dryer reported on spring fling, Senior year-end activities and High School Band performances over the weekend. Superintendent Johnson updated the Board on an early literacy implementation grant written for $17,000.
- Superintendent Johnson recognized the Board for School Board Recognition Month.
- The Board was updated on Senior Academic Honor Cords recipients.
- The Board approved the graduating Class of 2014.
- The Board was updated on the IAEP Agreement for 2014-2015.
- The Board approved to move forward with the sale of the Stanhope Bus Barn.
- The Board resolved to amend the FY14 Budget.
- The Board resolved to have a hearing date for the budget on Wednesday, May 28th at 5:30 pm in the boardroom.
- The Board set the 2014-2015 Student fees, increasing the activity ticket prices for students from $25 to $50 and Adults from $50 to $75 with all other fees staying the same.
- The Board approved the 2nd and final reading of the 600 Series of the Board Policies.
- The Board approved the resignation of Bret Johnson as Assistant Wrestling Coach.
- The Board approved the hiring of Lance Keller as Assistant Wrestling Coach.
- The Board approved the hiring of Matt Juber as MS/HS Science Teacher.
Closed session to review Superintendent Applications.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45pm.