Board Highlights 11/14/16
South Hamilton Board Highlights
“What happened at the board table last night”.
Monday, November 14th, 2016
MS/HS Building in the Boardroom
Call-to-order: Mr. Will Johnston
Read: Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope. — Kofi Annan
He who loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
- Approval of Agenda
- Consent Agenda
Consent Items: (All items listed under the consent agenda will be voted on by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a motion is made and approved prior to the time board members vote on the consent agenda items.)
Approve the Consent Agenda – The Board approved all consent items
- Financial Reports
- Debt Service Payment of $116,618.75
- Flexible Benefit Payments
- Open Enrollments
Open Enrolled – IN
None at this time
Open Enrolled – OUT
None at this time
Public Forum. (Residents of the District, students attending the District, parents/guardians of students attending the District, and District staff members may address the Board about topics relevant to the District. Those who wish to speak must sign up at the beginning of the meeting. Speaker’s participation is limited to three minutes once per board meeting. The views and opinions of citizens addressing the Board do not necessarily reflect those of the Board, district administration, or staff. (The district asks that any-and-all speakers remember Iowa law prohibits the Board from discussing specific employees or students and/or their performance.)
- Mr. Gage Pickering shared his Australian Experience with the Board
- Board Learning Session – Presentation of the SIAC Information, data, and more
[Mr. Howard and administration team will provide an overview of the information to be shared with the SIAC Committee at the 11/15/2016 meeting.] Mr. Howard gave an overview of the SIAC meeting data and information to show the process.
- Student Council -Representative to present – TBD – May be moved up in the agenda to accommodate student representative’s availability
- Activities Director – Todd Coy – Gave his report; Overview of Dual Sports Participation, Premier Athlete Training, Winter Sports, Field Improvements
- Director of Buildings and Grounds – Curt Stoecker – Gave his report
- Director of Technology – Loyal Winborn – Gave his report; email issues and potential precautions.
- Elementary Principal – Paul Hemphill – Gave his report; Overview and status of PBIS, and Smarter Balance Assessment overview and follow up
- Secondary Principal – Scott Dryer – Gave his report; Thanked Dan Brodie for Vets Day event, Iowa Youth Survey, P/T Conferences and potential alternatives,
- Superintendent – Ken Howard – Gave his report – see below
I cannot attend the IASB Convention due to previous commitments, however, if there is a board member who would like to attend please let me know and I will arrange. Thursday, November 17th, 2016.
Please find a copy of the SH Middle/High School Addition/Renovation expenditure tracking document.
I have included an example email correspondence sent to Elite Glass and Metal, LLC – a week and one-half ago. The missive is an example of communication I have been sending out to given contractors to encourage their progress and to ensure them the district expects their timelines to be held.
7. Review/discuss – Gymnasium Bleacher Accessibility – Board discussed the item
and asked the administration to follow up.
8. Review/discuss/approve/reject – Any snow removal bids as received –
Board approved the bid received from Seamless Pros as proposed.
9. Review/discuss/approve/reject – Second reading and approval of the following
reviewed and/or revised board policies – SERIES 100 – SCHOOL DISTRICT – The
Board approved 100 series as recommended
- Code No. 100 LEGAL STATUS OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT
- Code No. 101 EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT
- Code No. 102 EQUAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY
- Code No. 102.E1 ANNUAL NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION
- Code No. 102.E2 CONTINUOUS NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION
- Code No. 102.E3 NOTICE OF SECTION 504 STUDENT AND PARENTAL RIGHTS
- Code No. 102.E4 COMPLAINT FORM
- Code No. 102.E5 WITNESS DISCLOSURE FORM
- Code No. 102.E6 DISPOSITION OF COMPLAINT FORM
- Code No. 102.R1 GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
- Code No. 103 LONG-RANGE NEEDS ASSESSMENT
- Code No. 103.R1 LONG-RANGE NEEDS ASSESSMENT
- Code No. 104 ANTI-BULLYING/ANTI-HARASSMENT POLICY
- Code No. 104.R1 ANTI-BULLYING/ANTI-HARASSMENT INVESTIGATION PROCEDURES
- Code No. 104.E1 COMPLAINT FORM
- Code No. 104.E2 WITNESS DISCLOSURE FORM
- Code No. 104.E3 DISPOSITION OF COMPLAINT FORM
Second reading of the following reviewed and/or revised board policy – SCHOOL DISTRICT WELLNESS POLICY – Code No. 507.9 WELLNESS POLICY [INCLUDING APPENDICES A-E]
10. Review/discuss/approve/reject – SBRC Application for $89,599.40 for Open
Enrollment Out Maximum Modified Supplement Request – See SBRC Application form
included in the packet. – The Board approved the request for submission of the SBRC
11. Review/discuss/approve/reject – Superintendent/Board Goals for 2016-2017 [See,
review, and make suggested comments via Google doc share made to each board member.
Any questions as to how to make comments should be directed to Mr. Howard] – The Board
approved the goals as shown with minor edits.
- Mr. Dennis Barkema – 7th Grade Boys’ Basketball Coach
- Mr. Kyle Galetich – 8th Grade Boys’ Basketball Coach
- Mrs. Christina Clabaugh – Wrestling Cheer Coach
The administrative team recommends each of the above be hired for the recommended positions. – The board approved the personnel hires noted above.
13. Additional Announcements/Concerns
14. BOARD “TALKING POINTS” FOR PUBLIC and COLLEGIAL DOCUMENTATION OF BOARD/SUPERINTENDENT GOAL PROGRESS INDICATORS
“Goals allow you to control the direction of change in your favor.”
Noted Board Goal indicators from meeting:
- Approval of Superintendent/Board Goals for 20176-2017
- Discussion and follow up of ‘Dual Sport” participation
- Discussion pertaining to Premier Sports Athletic Training
- Overview and discussion – PBIS development at the Elementary
- Discussion as per Smarter Balance Assessments
- Iowa Youth Survey discussion
- Discussion pertaining to gym bleachers accessibility for senior stakeholders
- Gage Pickering sharing his experiences on trip to Australia
- Mr. Winborn sharing the technology safeguards reviewed and developed in the aftermath of “cyber” attack.